Abhi Mathews is the principal of Minerva Valuation Advisors ("MVA"). Prior to starting MVA, Abhi spent the last 10 years working at several business valuation firms, investment banks, accounting firms and a bank. In this span, he has assisted in raising or advising on over $400 million in capital for public and private companies while conducting business valuations.
He has several years of experience in business valuations, corporate finance, litigations support and advisory services. Abhi has helped provide valuation and expert reports for companies in almost every industry varying in sizes from large publicly listed companies to small private entities. Throughout his career, valuations and advisory services have been completed for going public transactions, private placements, mergers and acquisitions, estate tax planning, family law, management buy-outs, shareholder transactions, fairness opinions, divestitures, employee stock ownership plans (ESOP), and breach of contract. He has appeared to assist the courts in alternate dispute resolutions mechanisms.
He graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelors in Accounting & Financial Management ("BAFM"), with a minor in Economics. While at the University of Waterloo, he partially completed the Masters in Accounting program and was one of the few accounting students, at that time, to be involved with technology - Velocity Technology Incubator. He currently sits as a member of the educational working body of the CFA Institute, member of the Estate Planning Council of Mississauga, member of the Indo Canada Chamber of Commerce, member of the CFA Society Toronto, member of the CFA Society Chicago, member of the Chicago Chapter ASA and a member of the Institute of Chartered Business Valuators.
Abhi is a Chartered Business Valuator (2013) and a Chartered Financial Analyst (2014). He is completing his designation to become a Senior Appraiser - Business Valuations with the American Society of Appraisers ("ASA") and a Certified Fraud Examiner ("CFE").
Mr. Mathews, occasionally, participates on the advisory board of a couple of private entities, spanning industries from financial technology to legal services to asset management; since 2010, he has been increasing his knowledge on the technology front as he is an average full stack coder, who can conduct financial and technology due-diligence on technology entities and intellectual property. He also enjoys writing on a diverse set of business valuations & mergers & acquisitions topics ranging from tax planning to family law to intellectual property to due diligence. During his spare time, Mr. Mathews is involved with the local communities in a variety of ways. He founded a kids Not For Profit ("NFP") in the Ontario region and was a board member of a NFP, which focused on at risk kids in Toronto. He volunteers at local soup kitchens from Canada to the United States.
Organizations & Activities
- Member of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Member of the Toronto CFA Society
- Member of the Chicago CFA Society
- Member of the Chicago Chapter - American Society of Appraisers
- Associate Member of the American Society of Appraisers
- Associate Member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Member of the Estate Planning Council - Mississauga
- Member of the Indo Canada Chamber of Commerce
- Working Body Member of the Education Advisory Committee - CFA Institute
- Member of the Advisory Board - various private entities including: Bluesky Investment Council and Chera Law Firm
- Member of Board of Directors for The Hopeworks Connection (2017-2018)
- Chairman, Member of Board of Directors for Believe In A Future For Kids Foundation Canada (2011 - 2015)
Areas of Specialization
- Business Valuation
- Litigations Support
- Deal Advisory
- Forensic Accounting